Six Weeks Abs Diet & Workout Plan For Flat Abs
Six weeks Abs diet is a powerful combination of nutrition and exercises. This plan focuses on building Abs muscles through strength training, aerobic exercise and a combination of well- balanced proteins, carbohydrates, and fats
David Zinczenko, the editor of Men’s Health, developed this diet in 2004. He introduced it in the magazine and in his book, The Abs Diet: The Six-Week Plan to Flatten Your Stomach and Keep You Lean for Life.
There are six general guidelines or principals which need to be followed to get 100% results from this plan.
1. Eat six meals a day
2. Drink smoothies
3. Know what to drink
4. Do not count calories
5. Eat a cheat meal of your choice once in a week
6. Focus on the 12 power foods mentioned below
#1 Eat Six Meals A day
Georgia state university has found that if the hourly surplus or deficit of calories is 300-500, the body burns more fat and build lean muscle mass.
That’s why this diet recommends eating six meals a day to maintain the energy balance.
To eat six meals a day Zinczenko recommends the following approach:
Breakfast >> Mid Morning Snacks >> Lunch >> Mid Afternoon Snacks >> Dinner >> Evening Snacks
#2 Drink Smoothies
Second guideline is about drinking more smoothies regularly in place of a meal or snack.
Smoothies can be made with low-fat milk or yogurt by mixing ingredients such as peanut butter, whey protein, and fruits.
Some studies have also claimed that calcium in milk help in burning more fats and reduce the amount of fats produced by the body.
#3 Know What To Drink
Six week abs diet recommends drinking of 8 glasses of water every day as it helps in alleviating hunger pangs, water also helps in flushing out waste materials from the body and helps in delivering nutrients to muscles and other body parts.
Other than water, diet followers are allowed to take Green Tea, Low Fat Milk and no more than 2 glasses of diet soda.
Alcohol is strictly prohibited while following this diet.
#4 Do Not Count Calories
Although the basic principle to follow six weeks abs diet plan is to burn calories to lose fat and build lean muscle mass but this diet doesn’t allow the diet followers to count the calories.
According to Zinczenko calories counting makes people to lose focus and motivation.
#5 Eat Cheat Meal Once In A Week
As most of the other diets allows people to take one cheat meal in a week. This diet also allow people to take one cheat meal of their favorite food in a week.
This cheat meal should include food high in carbs and fats. This help in staying motivated by overcoming the diet fatigue which most of the dieters experience.
#6 Focus On 12 Power Foods
The last guideline strictly recommends people to focus on 12 power foods.
These 12 power foods are:
- Almonds & Other nuts
- Beans (except fried and baked)
- Green vegetable, including spinach, broccoli, sprout and asparagus
- Low-fat dairy products
- Instant oatmeal
- Lean meats, including chicken, fish, and turkey
- Peanut butter
- Olive oil
- Whole-grain breads and cereals
- Whey Protein Powder
An adequate workout is equally important as a good nutrition plan in the process of fat loss and lean muscle building.
A good workout includes strength training 3 times in a week, Abs workout 2-3 days in a week and aerobic exercise 2-3 times a week.
Three Basic Principles Of Muscle Building:
- There should be a gap of 48 hours between workouts of the same body part
- Take full rest one day a week (Take Sunday as rest day)
- Do proper warm-up before starting any workout- Jogging, cycling in the gym, jumping rope or doing jumping jacks.
Three Components of Workout Plan:
- Strength Training:
Under strength training, you should train your Total body 3 times a week including one extra workout for legs.
- Cardiovascular Exercises:
Activities like cycling, running, swimming, brisk walking, stair climbing, and jump ropes are cardiovascular exercises which should be done twice a week in between strength training.
- Abs Workout:
Before starting your strength training workout, train your Abs 2 or 3 times a week.
- For Beginners:
For those who are currently not doing any physical exercise should follow the below-mentioned routine before actually starting this Diet Plan.
Do light strength training three days week following this simple routine.
3 Sets of 8-10 Pushups and 3 Sets of 15-20 Squats without weight.
Rest for 1 minute in between the sets.
Add weight when it becomes easy to do 10 pushups and 20 squats with proper form
- For Intermediates:
For people who are already doing exercise and following some sort of workout plan should switch to this diet plan to get the results.
For maximum results workout routine must be changed every 30 days.
This workout plan hits your Abs in 5 major regions
- Upper Abs (12-15 reps)
Basic crunches and raised feet crunches lying on floor or mat.
- Lower Abs (6-12 reps)
Figure Eight crunch and Bent leg knee raise
- Obliques (10 reps each side)
Medicine ball torso rotation and two-handed wood chop
- Transverse Abdominis (5-10 Reps)
two-point bridge and Swiss ball pull in
- Lower Back (12-15 Reps)
Twisting back extension and Swiss ball superman
These exercises are compound exercises which train more than one muscles at a time and promote muscle strength.
- Squats (10-12 reps)
- Bench Press (10 reps)
- Pull Down (10 reps)
- Military Press (10 Reps)
- Upright Row (10 Reps)
- Triceps Push down (10-12 Reps)
- Leg Extension ( 10-12 Reps)
- Biceps Curls ( 10 Reps)
- Leg Curls ( 10-12 Reps)
This diet plan provides exceptional results in terms of weight loss and adding muscle mass out which few are mentioned below.
- Excessive Fat Loss
- Healthier and Longer lives
- Weight loss up to 12 pounds in the first 2 weeks and 5-8 Pounds in the next 2 weeks
- Increase lean muscle mass
- Zinczenko, David, and Ted Spiker. The Abs Diet: The Six-Week Plan to Flatten Your Stomach and Keep You Leanfor Life Emmaus, PA: Rodale, 2005.
- Zinczenko, David, and Ted Spiker. The Abs Diet Get Fit Stay Fit Plan: The Exercise Program to Flatten Your Belly, Reshape Your Body, and Give You Abs for Life! Emmaus, PA: Rodale, 2005.
- Zinczenko, David, and Ted Spiker. The Abs Diet Eat Right Every Time Guide Emmaus, PA: Rodale, 2005.
- Zinczenko, David, and Ted Spiker. The Abs Diet 6-Minute Meals for 6-Pack Abs: More Than 150 Great-Tasting Recipes to Melt Away Fat! Emmaus, PA: Rodale, 2006.
- Zinczenko, David. The Abs Diet: The Six-Week Plan to Flatten Your Stomach and Keep You Lean for Life: For Women Emmaus, PA: Rodale, 2005.
- Zinczenko, David, and Ted Spiker. The Abs Diet for Women: The Six-Week Plan to Flatten Your Stomach
and Keep You Lean for Life Emmaus, PA: Rodale, 2007.